- Created on 29 January 2012
- Written by GTL Admin
- Hits: 3657
- < Twisted Metal Game Details And Multiplayer Demo Released
- Mega Man And Pac-Man Confirmed As Sony Exclusives For Street Fighter X Tekken >
Power A has come up with some new controllers for the PlayStation 3 that encompass some modifications that will make you think twice about ever using the original Sony controller ever again. We were able to get our hands on the Air Flo Controller and the Mini Pro Elite Wireless Controller.
The PS3 version of the Air Flo controller is definitely a little more bulky then the average Sony controller but this is what makes it more comfortable and less painful to use. The soft touch grips add a feeling of firmness to the controller. I always felt the Sony PS3 controller was too skinny and slid in the hands to easily so Power A definitely got it right in their new design.
For those intense, all nighter gaming sessions there is a built in 2 speed cooling fan with 3 way vents on the hand grips that are illuminated. One might think that this is a gimmick but they really do keep the hands sweat free for frantic gamers like myself.
The action buttons feel a little easier to use than the original controller and actuate a bit quicker too. They, like the vents, are illuminated in cool blue to avoid fumbling and guessing in the darkened gaming sessions. The illumination can be turned off by a button on the bottom – but who wants to – it looks to way cool.
The Mini Pro Elite Wireless Controller has a smaller form factor and custom designed concave L2 and R2 buttons setting it apart in another universe than the Sony controller. Despite its smaller size it's still full featured sporting dual rumble motors, motion sensing SIXAXIS compatibility and LED illuminated action buttons.
If you can't get your mind around the cord on the Air Flo then you might be more harmonious with the Mini Pro Elite as it has the ability to go wireless with the included USB Adapter and built-in rechargeable battery. Why Power A didn't utilize the built-in Bluetooth capabilities of the PlayStation 3 left us scratching our heads but it still works nevertheless, as long as you don't play 20 feet away from the console that is. About the battery – with the action buttons illuminated we were not able to exhaust it during our many hours of testing so there should be no problem with it dying in the middle of a normal gaming session.
If you're a hard core PS3 player then you're not going to like the fact that both controllers have been designed with the positions of the directional pad and the left analog stick swapped, just like the, ahem, Xbox 360 controller. Since I play on both systems I loved it, but some may not.
In my opinion, the Air Flo Controller was a vast improvement over the original Sony Controller even without considering the added plusses of the cooling vents and illuminated buttons. Although slightly smaller the Mini Pro Elite Wireless Controller stood taller in terms of grip feel and joystick/button actuation. Either controllers are well worth the trouble of "accidentally" breaking the Sony controller and running out for a replacement.
Air Flow Controller Features
- Officially licensed ergonomic controller with attached 10ft/3m cord for extended reach.
- Switch on the built-in 2-speed fan and keep your palms cool with patented Air Flo technology.
- Reverse analog sticks for precision game control and improved comfort and gameplay.
- Dual rumble motors for an enhanced gaming experience.
- Illuminated action buttons and air vents.
Mini Pro Elite Wireless Controller Features
- Wireless Controller with built-in rechargeable battery and motion sensing technology—works with SIXAXIS compatible games
- Ergonomic and compact design provides better control for adults and kids
- Reverse analog sticks for precision gameplay and improved comfort
- Dual rumble motors for an enhanced gaming experience
- Eye-catching metallic look with glowing action buttons
- LED button turns glow on/off.
- Includes: Wireless Controller, USB Controller Adaptor/Receiver, 6ft/1.8m USB Charging Cable